>> Working in the UK

If you are a researcher planning your
next stay in the United Kingdom , look here for career opportunities
and find relevant information and assistance


There are many different online resources for job-hunters. Some websites allow you to post your CV and will pass this on to relevant organisations. Others offer careers advice and allow you to search their online jobs database. Here weíve grouped together some online resources which may be particularly useful for researchers.

THE EUROPEAN RESEARCHERíS MOBILITY PORTAL You can search for job vacancies grouped by country or by research field in the jobs section on the European Researcher's Mobility Portal. You can also add your CV to the Researcherís Mobility Jobs database, and register for alerts about research jobs that registered organisations are recruiting for. This site also has a page with links to other European job resources.

New Scientist jobs The New Scientist online jobs pages allow you to search for jobs around the globe. You can also register, post your CV to the site and receive vacancy updates by e-mail. Guardian Jobs Jobs from all sectors are advertised in the Guardian and you can search the jobs database online. There is also a useful section giving advice about how to write applications, CVs, and covering letters, and how to prepare for interviews. Nature Jobs As well as a searchable database of jobs, the Nature Jobs website has a careers magazine which includes information on salaries and postdoc resources, and a spotlights and regions section where you can access information about research in different areas around the world.


If you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), you may need a visa to come to the UK; if you want to work here you will probably also need a work permit, or to enrol in one of the schemes to enable skilled migrants to look for work. Find out more below about visas, work permits, and other schemes to allow foreign nationals to work, or look for work, in the UK. WHICH COUNTRIES ARE IN THE EEA? The following countries are in the EEA: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK. Switzerland is not in the EEA but an international treaty means that Swiss nationals have similar rights to live and work in the UK as EEA nationals. Bulgaria and Romania joined the EU from the 1st January 2007. This means that nationals from Bulgaria and Romania do not require a visa to come to the UK, and can remain in the country so long as they are a student, self employed or otherwise self sufficient. However, they do not automatically have the right to work DO I NEED A VISA? Visit the UK Visas website, to find out whether you need a visa to come to the UK, and how you can apply for one. If you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA), or Switzerland, you should not need a visa DO I NEED A WORK PERMIT? EEA/Swiss nationals (apart from Bulgarian or Romanian Nationals) If you are an EEA or Swiss national, you will not need a work permit to work in the UK. However, if you are from Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia or Slovenia, you will need to register under the Worker Registration Scheme if you plan to work for more than one month for an employer in the UK. Bulgarian/Romanian Nationals Transitional arrangements have been put in place to manage the employment of Bulgarian and Romanian nationals migrating to the UK. If you are from Bulgaria or Romania and wish to work in the UK you must first get permission to do so. If you are highly skilled you can try to get a registration certificate allowing you full access to the labour market. The criteria for this are similar to those for the Highly Skilled Migrant programme or the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme (see below). You do not need a registration certificate if you are a student, self-employed, or otherwise self-sufficient. If you do not qualify for a registration certificate you may be able to get an accession worker card allowing you to work, but you will normally need a company in the UK to obtain approval for you to work with them before you can apply for the card. Seasonal workers may work in the UK if they come under the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme. CAN I WORK IF I AM A STUDENT? International students can usually work in the UK provided that they meet the general requirements about the type of work they take and the number of hours they work while studying. Students should not work for more than 20 hours a week during term time but they may work full time during their vacation period. A student must not engage in business, self-employment or the provision of services as a professional sports person or entertainer. A student is not permitted to pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy. The website of the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) provides advice for international students wanting to work in the UK. UKCOSA:The Council for International Education also provides advice on when students can and cannot work legally in the UK. The Immigration Rules enable all students who graduate at degree level or above to work in the UK after their studies, by switching into leave as a work permit holder, highly skilled migrant, business person or innovator. They have to meet all the requirements of the scheme they are seeking to switch into.


If you are coming to live and work in the UK you need to know about the system of taxation. Find out below about the UK tax system, and whether you will be liable to pay tax. If you are going to be living and working in the UK you will usually have to pay tax here as well. However, if you have income which is from a foreign country and is taxed in that country, you may be entitled to an exemption from paying tax in the UK when there is a double taxation agreement in place. Some double tax agreements also allow teachers, professors and in some cases researchers, to come to the UK for a period of 2 years or less and be exempt from UK tax on their earnings from their teaching or research post. As the terms of double taxation agreements can vary widely, you are advised to refer to the text of the relevant agreement in HMRCís Double Taxation Relief Manual. You can find out more about residency and your liability for tax on the Directgov website, in the HM Revenue and Customs leaflet IR20, or at your local tax office Under most double taxation agreements, if you are visiting the UK solely for the purpose of full-time education or training, you will not pay tax on payments from outside the UK for your maintenance, education or training. Therefore PhD students would not normally have to pay tax on their grants from outside the UK. However, if you are a post-doctoral researcher, you will probably have to pay tax in the UK, unless there is a specific agreement between the UK and your home state exempting you from paying tax on your income from your research post. If you are employed, income tax and national insurance contributions will be automatically deducted from your salary (Pay As You Earn: PAYE), and you will not normally need to fill in a tax return each year. If you are self-employed, or have a substantial income from property or other means (for example foreign income), you will need to fill out a self assessment tax form. When you inform HM Revenue and Customs of your circumstances, they should determine whether you need to fill in a self assessment form, and will give you guidelines on how to do this.